He started his teaching using Exodus 19:1-6. These verses were about the Israelites being delivered from Egypt and what God wants them to do. There are lessons for us today as follows:
- These are written for our instructions, so that we can understand the plan and purpose of God. The story of the Exodus was a pattern of what God wants to do with us.
- The Lord had delivered the people from Egypt. It was by grace alone not by power of works.
- God led them to Mt. Sinai. Here He would make a Covenant with them.
- Notice how the Lord makes an offer to them: if you will obey and keep my Covenant..
- Then you will be a special treasure to me above all people
- You shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.
These offers still remain : 1 Peter 2:9 and Revelation 1:5-6
- Notice God’s purpose has to do with a Kingdom: Matthew 9:35
- The blessings of the kingdom of God are for those who submit to the King.
- There is a false Gospel (or at least a half-Gospel) that is popular today. That is “Gospel-lite” rather than “Full-Gospel”.
- “Gospel-lite” emphasis forgiveness of sins and God love’s but leave out discipleship.
- God makes a new Covenant with us, a better one, because He give a new heart and give us , the Holy Spirit, but there is still calls to make Jesus Lord and King.
- There is still, “If you obey and keep the Covenant Then…
- This offer was made with powerful demonstration of God’s power and presence of God.
- In order to receive this promise, Israel had to enter into a covenant and obey what He told them to do. ( keeping the law was not a way to earn salvation, they had been delivered from Egypt)
- The law is the wisdom of God how to live and how to be successful in life.
- Keeping the law is how they express their love for God and other people.
- Matthew 22:37-40
- It was a particle out working of faith ( Jas 2:18 )
Acts 9:3-6 Jesus spoke to blind Saul.
- Saul was opposing the Lord. Every one of us has been in similar place, even if not so extreme.
- Sin is rebellion, disobedience, self-will, putting ourselves above God.
- To be delivered we must turn around.
- Repentance and faith are really the same, we turn from sin to the Lord.
- Saul surrendered totally, “Lord what do you want me to do? “
- At Sinai God called the nation of Israelite to come out from the kingdom of darkness to into His kingdom.
- It was full surrender like Paul.
- True conversion is a full surrender to Jesus as Lord.
- True conversion is when we ask “Lord, what will you have me to do? “
The question is: “Where do we stand this morning?”