Wednesday 20 September 2017

Romans 8:1-17 Rescue by Dr.Tiong Tung Hui dated 17.9.17



Struggling with sin
Ch 7:12   ..the law is holy
Ch 7:14  ..the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual
Ch 7:15   I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Galatians 5:17
For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.

1. Rescued from sin
 
Romans 8:1-4
Romans 8:1-2
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.

Why do we feel condemned?
What does it mean “in Christ Jesus”?

John 5:24
“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”

Justification
Pronounced as righteous, acquitted from guilt, on the ground of Christ’s death

2. Empowerment by the Spirit Romans 8:5-11

Two different mindsets
Sinful/Carnal mindset                                           Spirit mindset
Do what the sinful nature desires                          Do what the Spirit desire
Ends in death                                                         Life and peace
Hostile to God                                                       God lives in you
Does not submit to God’s Law                             The body is dead but Spirit is alive ( because
Cannot please God                                                 of righteousness )
Does not belong to God

3. Adoption Romans 8:12-17

Sonship and New Relationship Roma 8:15-17
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are God’s children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir

John 15:20
Remember the words I spoke to you:
‘No servant is greater than his master.’
If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also.

No comments:

Post a Comment